List of state management approaches
State management is a complex topic. If you feel that some of your questions haven’t been answered, or that the approach described on these pages is not viable for your use cases, you are probably right.
Learn more at the following links, many of which have been contributed by the Flutter community:
Things to review before selecting an approach.
- Introduction to state management, which is the beginning of this very section (for those of you who arrived directly to this Options page and missed the previous pages)
- Pragmatic State Management in Flutter, a video from Google I/O 2019
- Flutter Architecture Samples, by Brian Egan
A recommended approach.
- Simple app state management, the previous page in this section
- Provider package
Riverpod, another good choice, is similar to Provider and is compile-safe and testable. Riverpod doesn’t have a dependency on the Flutter SDK.
- Riverpod homepage
- Getting started with Riverpod
The low-level approach to use for widget-specific, ephemeral state.
- Adding interactivity to your Flutter app, a Flutter tutorial
- Basic state management in Google Flutter, by Agung Surya
InheritedWidget & InheritedModel
The low-level approach used to communicate between ancestors and children
in the widget tree. This is what
provider and many other approaches
use under the hood.
The following instructor-led video workshop covers how to
Other useful docs include:
- InheritedWidget docs
- Managing Flutter Application State With InheritedWidgets, by Hans Muller
- Inheriting Widgets, by Mehmet Fidanboylu
- Using Flutter Inherited Widgets Effectively, by Eric Windmill
- Widget - State - Context - InheritedWidget, by Didier Bolelens
A state container approach familiar to many web developers.
- Animation Management with Redux and Flutter, a video from DartConf 2018 Accompanying article on Medium
- Flutter Redux package
- Redux Saga Middleware Dart and Flutter, by Bilal Uslu
- Introduction to Redux in Flutter, by Xavi Rigau
- Flutter + Redux—How to make a shopping list app, by Paulina Szklarska on Hackernoon
- Building a TODO application (CRUD) in Flutter with Redux—Part 1, a video by Tensor Programming
- Flutter Redux Thunk, an example, by Jack Wong
- Building a (large) Flutter app with Redux, by Hillel Coren
- Fish-Redux–An assembled flutter application framework based on Redux, by Alibaba
- Async Redux–Redux without boilerplate. Allows for both sync and async reducers, by Marcelo Glasberg
- Flutter meets Redux: The Redux way of managing Flutter applications state, by Amir Ghezelbash
- Redux and epics for better-organized code in Flutter apps, by Nihad Delic
- Flutter_Redux_Gen - VS Code Plugin to generate boiler plate code, by Balamurugan Muthusamy (BalaDhruv)
Fish Redux is an assembled flutter application framework based on Redux state management. It is suitable for building medium and large applications.
- Fish-Redux-Library package, by Alibaba
- Fish-Redux-Source, project code
- Flutter-Movie, A non-trivial example demonstrating how to use Fish Redux, with more than 30 screens, graphql, payment api, and media player.
BLoC / Rx
A family of stream/observable based patterns.
- Architect your Flutter project using BLoC pattern, by Sagar Suri
- BloC Library, by Felix Angelov
- Reactive Programming - Streams - BLoC - Practical Use Cases, by Didier Boelens
A service locator based state management approach that
doesn’t need a
- GetIt package, the service locator. It can also be used together with BloCs.
GetIt Mixin package, a mixin that completes
GetItto a full state management solution.
GetIt Hooks package, same as the mixin in
case you already use
- Flutter state management for minimalists, by Suragch
A popular library based on observables and reactions.
- MobX.dart, Hassle free state-management for your Dart and Flutter apps
- Getting started with MobX.dart
- Flutter: State Management with Mobx, a video by Paul Halliday
Reactive state management that uses the Command Pattern
and is based on
ValueNotifiers. Best in combination with
GetIt, but can be used with
Provider or other
- Flutter Command package
A state management package that uses
at its core. Inspired in part by recoil.
This package promotes the separation of concerns.
- Binder package
- Binder examples
- Binder snippets, vscode snippets to be even more productive with Binder
A simplified reactive state management solution.
- GetX package
- Complete GetX State Management, a video by Tadas Petra
- GetX Flutter Firebase Auth Example, by Jeff McMorris
An approach that combines state management with a dependency injection solution and an integrated router. For more information, see the following info:
- States Rebuilder project code
- States Rebuilder documentation
Triple Pattern (Segmented State Pattern)
Triple is a pattern for state management that uses
This mechanism (nicknamed triple because the stream always uses three
State), is based on the
Segmented State pattern.
For more information, refer to the following resources:
- Triple documentation
- Flutter Triple package
- Triple Pattern: A new pattern for state management in Flutter (blog post written in Portuguese but can be auto-translated)
- VIDEO: Flutter Triple Pattern by Kevlin Ossada (recorded in English)
A simple but powerful state management solution inspired by SolidJS.